Last updated on
According to European Union regulations, all identity cards issued by EU Member States must contain the fingerprints of 2 (index) fingers since mid-2021.
Since 21 June 2021, you will have to come to the Embassy in person and by appointment for an electronic identity card (e-ID) and/or your child for the Kids-ID (if your child is 6 years of age or older).
Information on the GDPR
- Privacy statement. Processing of personal data in the context of a pasport application
- Form right of access to my personal data
The identity card for adults and children older than 12 (eID)
All Belgian nationals over 12 years old who have their primary residence abroad and who are listed in the population registers of a Belgian embassy or career consulate, can apply for a Belgian identity card.
The eID remains valid:
- in case you move (to another career post, from or to Belgium)
- if it was issued by a Belgian municipality and provided that the holder has reported his move to the municipal administration
The eID is no longer valid:
- if it is reported to have been lost or stolen
- if the holder’s photo is no longer resemblant
- if it was issued after August 2008 by a Belgian municipality and if the holder has not reported his move abroad to the municipal administration
Information and application forms
Your application will be processed as soon as your form and photo have been submitted and the relevant payment has been made to the embassy.